When you looking the section of wall to visit the Badaling is always be marked, crowd. Don’t go! Really? I think there is something else you should know before you make the decision.
Because of the first picture most people decide to not go to Badaling as it is so crazy crowd! But Badaling has really quiet time and a beautiful view such as the 2nd picture.
Looks so different! Yes, Badaling Great Wall is the busiest sections of the Wall. But you can also enjoy the wall in a quiet way.
The most important things you should know: DON'T VISIT BADALING GREAT WALL DURING CHINESE HOLIDAYS. You will see the view of the first picture. If you are not traveling in Chinese holiday, there are some useful tips for you to avoid the crowd.
1. Visit the Great Wall in the late afternoon.
Badaling close 7:00 pm from April to October and 6 pm from November to March. It always less busy in the afternoon.
2. Walk the South Part.
The north section is always busy, but the south is always quiteBecausese the north has more towers and cable car. The view is better. But when you climb up the south part, the north section is just in front of you. Especially in the afternoon, take picture from the north section is alway at-sunshine.
3. Visit the Badaling Wall from Monday to Friday.
Note: July and August is school holiday in China, the Badaling is very busy. It is better not go.
You can choose visit other sections. Such as Mutianyu or Jinshanling.
1. It is the most popular section. As the Badaling with amazing architecture, it is developed much eaier and most of the leaders from all over the world visit here before.
2. It is the best-preserved and most complete section.
3. Compared with other sections, most stairs are not very steep and they are equipped with handrails, so it is a relatively easier climb.
4. This section has been equipped with cable car and pulley to save energy.
5. It is close to downtown Beijing, about 43 miles (70 kilometers) away, and easy to reach by public transportation.
There are 2 ways to get to Badaling by public transfer. 1. take 877 bus from Deshengmen station. 2. Take the S2 train from Huangtudian.
1. You can't buy the tickets online, the tickets sold out very quick in the morning. You have to queue the next train for a long time.(about 2 hours evern more). While the 877 bus doesn't have schedule, the bus runs every 5 minutes.
2. The train station is far away from down town Beijing.
The original trains tation is at Beijing north rainlway station. As Chinese goverment is promote the road for Beijing winter olympic in 2022. The train station to Badaling is moved to Huangtudain station. This staion can reach by line 8 and line 13 to Huoying station. It is about 1 hour by subway.
Compare to the train station, the Deshengmen bus station is just by the 2nd ring road. You can get there very easy.
The 877 bus is easy to find the station, less wait and closer to downtown Beijing.
No worry about the traffic. But the 877bus runs in the morning, the traffic out the city is not busy from Monday to Friday.
It is good to use the train in the weekend or you stay near the line 8 and line 13. It is easy for you to get to Huoying station.
The bus schedule: The bus runs from 6:00 to 12:30. The bus departures when the seats are full of passengers. The bus ticket is 12RMB. If you have Beijing metro card, the price is 6RMB.The last 877 bus from Badaling back to Beijing is 16:30 (November to March), 17:00 (April to October)
How long does the bus take?
If there is no traffic jam, it is about 70 minutes.
If you don't want to take the bus, this is the time talbe of S2 train. You can visit the Wall in the afternoon and take the train back if you miss the last bus.
When you get to Huoying subway station (line 13 or line 8), go out from exit G4, then it is 100 meters to get to the station.
1. Take the bus from Deshengmen 877bus station.
Take subway line 2 to Jishuitan station. Go out from exit B. Walk 5 minutes to east and get the bus station.
Note: Don't take 919bus
Bus 919 is not recommended anymore. It used to be a non-stop line from Deshengmen to Badaling. However, it now does not run on the expressway and has many stops on the way. It takes 2 hours and costs CNY 12 to Badaling, which is just an intermediate station. The bus is always crowded, with no seat left. In addition, the drop-off site is 1.5 mi (2.5 km) from the entrance. You need to walk or take the free shuttle bus to the ticket office.
2. Walk from the 877 bus station to the entrance of Badaling.
It is about 5 minutes by walk. You will see the tickets office sell the sliding from the wall. I personally don't want to do that . The slide is very short and always long queue. If you travel with kids, it may be a good idea to take it.
Just follow the signes you can easily find the entrance and the tickets office.
Badaling entrance fee and open time:
Cable car: RMB100 (single trip); RMB140 (round trip)