The problem with many of the Great Wall sections is that they can be rather difficult to reach or to crowed to visit. The Badaling Great Wall has over 30000 visitors daily. Jinshanling Great Wall with 2.5 hours’ drive or 3.5 hours public transfer to go. Some of the wild sections are difficult to find and visit. On the other hand, Mutianyu Great Wall is very beautiful. It is with all the good facilities make your visit easy and enjoyable.
If you read other blogs which tell you to take 876bus, pleasedon’tdo that. This bus station is difficult for tourists to find and it only runs in a busy season. What’s worse is it is not going to the Mutianyu Great Wall directly which made you have to transfer 1 more time. It is very slow, if you stuck in the traffic, it will take you 3 to 4 hours to get there.
Mutianyu is a very popular Great Wall which is 75kms away from down town Beijing. There is no direct public transfer to get there daily, if you plan to visit by bus, you need 1 transfer. The best way to Mutianyu by public bus is 916 express + H23, it is easy! Which is easy to make it.
1. Take subway to Dongzhimen station at line 2 and line 13 (东直门站 13号线，2 号线)
2. Take 916express bus to Huairoubeidajie (怀柔北大街). (916 express快 means fast, if you take the normal 916， it is not going highway and will take more than 1 hour to get there)
3. Go to the opposite side of the Huairoubeidajia bus station when you get off from 916 and take H23, H36, H35 to Mutianyu Huandao (慕田峪环岛)
4. Walk 5 minutes to the tickets office and buy the shuttle bus tickets and entrance tickets. Take the shuttle bus to the entrance at the foot of the Great Wall. Hiking the Great Wall
5. How to visit Mutianyu Great Wall?
The shuttle bus will take you to the entrance of the Wall. Actually, there are 3 entrances you choose. So which way you need to go? Don't worry, all the entrance can get up to the wall with about 30-hour walk 2000+ steps. I have 4 recommended routes for you to discover the wall. Where can I get the best view? In my experience, the best view is at tower 8 and tower 16. Where is the most difficult part? From tower 19 to tower 20 are most steep.
1. By foot From China Dream stone city to Tower 6 and walk to tower 20. This is an 8 km hike. It needs about 3 to 4 hours. It is a tough hike because of all the steps. 2. Cable car up and down (2 hours). You can walk around tower 14, especially you can try to go up the steepest part of tower 19. 3. Ski lift up and toboggan down. You can walk up from tower 3 to tower 2 which is very steep as well. The view near the tower 8 is very nice. 4. Cable car up to tower 14 and toboggan down from tower 6. This is the easiest way to enjoy the whole section of Mutianyu Great Wall. But the two different companies operate cable car and chairlift (toboggan) separately.
1. What is the bus schedule?
916快（916express bus）from Dongzhimen bus hub （东直门公交枢纽）to Huairou(怀柔北大街)The first bus from Dongzhimen station (东直门) is from 5:50 am. It runs every 5 to 10 minutes. If you can get there before 6:30, and take the bus. You can get to the wall around 8 am, it is a good time to visit the wall! Peaceful and quiet!
916bus from Dongzhimen to Huairoubeidajie … 1 hour (12 RMB with Beijing metro card)
Huiaroubeidajie to Mutianyu Huandao you can take the bus: H23, H24, H35, H36.
These buses come every 20 minutes.
30 minutes by bus to Mutianyu Huandao（慕田峪环岛） (4 RMB with Beijing metro card)
Beijing metro card can help you enjoy 50% discount on the bus fee.
2. What time is the last bus back to Beijing?
The last bus finishes about 6:30 pm from Mutianyu Huandao (慕田峪环岛)to Huairoubeidajie（怀柔北大街). The last 916 bus from Huairoubeidajie（怀柔北大街）to Dongzhimen bus hub is 7 pm.
3. 916 and 916 Express （916快）
Both the 2 bus runs in the same direction and can get to Huairoubeidajie (怀柔北大街) Kuai 快 means express or fast, the 916express bus goes the highway and only stop at big stations while 916bus not use the highway and waste a lot of your precious time. So make sure to take the 916express bus.
4. Mutianyu Great Wall tickets price in 2018
Entrance and shuttle bus
March 16 to November 15:
Monday-Friday: 07:30-18:00; Weekends: 07:30-18:30
November 16 to March 15: 8:00-17:00
Adults: 45 RMB Seniors elder than 60: 25 RMB (valid ID or passport required)
Children between 1.2 and 1.4 meters (3.9 and 4.6 feet): 25RMB
Children under 1.2 meters (3.9 feet) are admitted free.
Cable car and Toboggan
Slide or Toboggan
March 16 to November 15: 08:00-17:00
November 16 to March 15: 08:30-16:30
Note: Children between 1.2 and 1.4 meters (3.9 and 4.6 feet) can enjoy the student price. More than 1.4 meters should pay adults price. Children under 1.2 meters (3.9 feet) are admitted free.
How to return from Mutianyu to downtown Beijing?
You can take the same bus back to Huairou Beidajie and then transfer the 916express back to Dongzhimen station.
What is the best time to visit Mutianyu without the crowd?
It is better not visit there in the weekend and Chinese holiday, the most crowd time for Mutianyu is April, May, September, and October. If you travel in the busy season, it is better to start your trip early in the morning. It is not busy as Badaling Great Wall, but the number of tourists increasing very quickly in the last few years.
How to go to Mutianyu from Wangfujing?
Take subway line 2 to Dongzhimen subway station. Transfer the 916 express bus to Huairoubeidajie. Transfer H23 to Mutianyu Great Wall
How to take the public bus from Beijing airport to Mutianyu?
Take the airport express from the airport to Dongzhimen station. It is about half hour, the ticket price is 25RMB. The take 916 expresses go to Huairoubeidajie station, transfer H23 to Mutianyu.
How much taxi from Beijing to Mutianyu?
For 75kms, official taxi fee is 250RMB, from the airport to Mutianyu, Offical taxi is 200RMB. But most drivers don't want to go if you don't take their car back to the city. So you'd better negotiate with the drivers and make a good deal for around way trip. It is around 650RMB for round trip, the taxi drivers will happy to go.